Botswana, located in southern Africa, is known for its vast wilderness and abundant birdlife. The country’s wetlands, including the Okavango Delta, provide a haven for numerous bird species. Birdwatchers can spot the African Fish Eagle, the striking Lilac-breasted Roller, and a variety of waterfowl. Botswana’s commitment to conservation and ecotourism makes it a prime destination for avian enthusiasts.
But did you know “what is the National Bird of Botswana?” The answer is quite interesting, it’s the Kori Bustard. Its scientific name is Ardeotis kori. The Kori Bustard is known for its Largest flying bird in Africa. It is one of the National Symbols of Botswana.
Botswana’s National Bird
Kori Bustard (Ardeotis kori) is the National Bird of Botswana. The Kori Bustard is one of the heaviest flying birds native to Africa. It’s known for its large size and distinctive courtship displays.
An Overview of Botswana’s National Bird:
|Official Status as National Bird:
|Grasslands, savannas, deserts
|Height: 3.3-4.2 feet
|Insects, small mammals
|Up to 20 years
|Polygamous, ground nests
|Largest flying bird in Africa
Interesting Facts about the National Bird of Botswana
Here are some Interesting Facts about the National Bird of Botswana:
- The Kori Bustard (Ardeotis kori) is the National Bird of Botswana.
- They are among the heaviest flying birds globally, with males weighing up to 40 pounds.
- Kori Bustards are often found in open grasslands and savannas.
- These birds are omnivorous, feeding on a wide range of food, including small mammals and insects.
- They are known for their distinctive courtship displays, including inflating their neck sacs.
- Kori Bustards are solitary birds and are typically seen alone or in small groups.
- They are excellent runners and can run at speeds of up to 20 miles per hour.
- Kori Bustards are known for their elaborate and noisy mating rituals.
FAQ’s About the National Bird of Botswana
What is the national bird of Botswana?
The national bird of Botswana is the Kori Bustard (Ardeotis kori).
What is the scientific name of the Kori Bustard?
The scientific name of the Kori Bustard is Ardeotis kori.
How long does the Kori Bustard live?
The Kori Bustard has a lifespan of Up to 20 years.
What kind of habitat does the Kori Bustard prefer?
The Kori Bustard prefers to live in Grasslands, savannas, and deserts.
What does the Kori Bustard eat?
The Kori Bustard eats Insects, and small mammals.